NYSC North Posting: How I See It

With mixed feelings of optimism and the fear of the unknown, we waited for the call-up letter to the service. Each prospective Corp Member had a picture of what they wanted their service year to look like. So, it was understandable when we all rushed to school to collect our posting letters to our states of service. I remembered vividly how I felt when I was informed, while still on my way to school, by a friend (Aloyinlapa) that I was posted to Kebbi State. Kebbi State! 
I had never imagined it even though I had always wanted to experience the North.  I quickly made up my mind and checked up the Internet to learn more about the State especially the location. I asked people that had travelled that far about what to make as preparations and ensured that I was fully prepared. I embarked on the longest journey by road I had ever made so far that day.
As I was in the Marcopolo all through the night, I tried to imagine what to expect for the next 1 year in a strange land. The next day afternoon as soon as we saw the road sign that signalled we were now in Kebbi, I opened the window of the Lorry and was greeted by the burning hot Sahara wind. 
Rasaki Salawu

I thought: "This place definitely must be close to hell". So on the 8th of March, 2011, I reported to the NYSC Camp at Jega, Kebbi State. It was not until the next day that I received my kits and joined the parade. I enjoyed every bit of the parade and quickly the days flew by.  It was during this period that I made up my mind to learn the Hausa language and to accomplish this, i recruited 6 local boys to teach me.  
During the camping activities, new friends were made. Time flew by and it was time for getting our letters indicating our places of primary assignment.  Again, we looked up to the heavens and begged for favours from the Almighty. I got my letter indicating I was posted to the Secondary School in Kalgo ( a town that lies in between two other major towns- Jega and Birnin Kebbi). 
I thought: "Why Kalgo?? Of all places in Kebbi?" But again, I made up my mind, after all it was a year to serve the country with humility.  No sooner had we reached the town than I started making friends. Thanks to my zeal for trying to speak their local language, whether correct or wrong. Soon I made so much friends that my name became very popular among the children in the town; so much that the Seriki could have felt threatened. 
Time flew by rapidly and now the service year is about to come to a finish. Now I am reluctant to leave Kebbi. I feel so much at home here (though it cannot replace my home). As the passing out day draws near, I feel like a part of me is been gradually snatched away. My only consolation is in reuniting with the loved ones i have left behind in Lagos. I know for sure that this is an experience I will never forget and I want to thank God for giving me this opportunity to come in contact with one of the best communities in the world. 
Thanks to NYSC for this wonderful scheme that has exposed me to the ways of life of people other than my own. GOOD Day. TILL WE MEET AGAIN! 
Note: This is an account of Rasaki Salawu, A Youth Corp Member in 2011

Comments