UI and the Story of KFC from KFB’s Lens


In this WETi (What Expert Tells Infoprations), Tosin Kalejaye speaks about his experience as an addicted consumer of ‘Kilishi’ to being its supplier, and establishment of KALE FRESH BEEF (KFB) as a brand in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria.

 Everyone in your territory knows you as a student of Mechanical Engineering; you are neither a student of veterinary medicine nor a student of business administration. What then awoken your adrenaline to kick-start KFB- Kale Fresh Beef?
I have been into Kale Kilishi for 2 years. Kilishi is the common beef jerky people know. But I found out most people who eat Kilishi are apparently lovers of meat and its products. At times, I hear people say they love meat, but they don't want Kilishi because of the spice or for one reason or the other. I then decided KFB would be a better additional idea (you can decide to make your beef into whatever you like). KFB is just an idea from the existing Kale Kilishi.
Does that mean you started that as a student of UI?
Yes.
That time, what ignited your love for Kilishi business?
I was addicted to Kilishi since I was very young. Apparently, I felt others should love Kilishi in the southwest also. It's a nice product, people can’t really access here. So, I decided to bring Kilishi to the people.
What's your plan in having another KFC in UI?
Having another KFC?
Yes. You know KFC started in a kitchen in a small street restaurant, and look at the brand now. What are your plans too, considering that you're starting small?
I am not looking at starting a kitchen… The big picture is to grow a slaughterhouse with a renowned meat shop in Ibadan.
For now, who do you target? Who are also your future stakeholders?
Our primary target audience is every lover of meat. Our start-out location is Ibadan central, thus delivery will reach people in Ibadan for now, but as a plan for expansion goes on. There is a vision for the establishing of meat shops in major cities in Nigeria across all states of the nation in a bid to provide healthy and affordable meat for meat lovers in Nigeria.
How will that happen, and what date should your potential customers envisage?
There was a bill we shared last week for the low-cost prices we want to sell at, but we decided to kick-start with another option which is cheaper for customers and less stressful for us and the delivery guys. The new idea is to get 15 people to share a whole cow. Each share is to go for N10,000 per person. There's also an option of 2 people to a share at N5,000 each also. This will reduce the number of people we'll be delivering to and also enable us not to have leftovers. It's also cheaper than the previous rates on the bills we were sharing. So hopefully, we want to run this for this month (at least twice) before we kick-start the meat shop prices.
That means your brand is creating employment for some people? I mean those who help in delivering meat to your customers.
Definitely.
How do you feel when people call you a butcher, Alapata (Butcher) indirectly?
Lol! How's that a problem? Please buy my meat; I'm a butcher.
After graduation, do you intend to continue this business?
Yes
Then, have you ever dreamed of venturing into your profession, mechanical engineering, after schooling? Or are you nurturing the ambition of combining it with KFB?
Sure! Why would I waste 5 years of learning mechanical engineering if I don't hope to work with it?  I am building myself in this field too. I have targets here. So apparently, I am combining both. I just hope to build a system around KFB that works before I go into full time engineering profession.
If any UI undergraduate decides to join your team and grow the brand with you, what are the criteria?
I have something like that which I am working on, but I have to be careful to get someone who is reliable and trustworthy. I also need people who are not into a lot of extra-curricular activities. People like that are welcome.
Where do you see KFB in the next 5 years?
This is a 5-year picture- at least to have a solid base in Ibadan.
There are many local meat sellers and meat shops around. Why should your potential customers come to KFB?
From my little observations and survey, my prices are way cheaper. Why would I decide to go for a more expensive meat when there's a cheaper one which was slaughtered in a healthy environment.
Is there any provision for veterinary inspection of bulls you want to slaughter before slaughtering? You know that some bulls might look healthy, whereas they are not.
For now, no professional veterinary doctor, but I have an experienced technical personnel I work with. He knows how to identify all these common details.
What are your words for undergraduates and fresh graduates?
Undergraduates who have talents and gifts should build them and shouldn't let anything stop them from showcasing them. Those who have learnt a skill should build on it too till they become masters of their craft. Those who have a lot of savings should start having investments. Everyone should have a plan for 5-10 years and should create milestones for such plans.

Comments